Il territorio

cosa vedere nella nostra zona

6 June 2017

Donigala Fenughedu

It is the hamlet of Oristano where the B&B Prama e Mari is located.
Donigala once was an independent municipal administration that was abolished in 1927.
Until 1862 the town was known as Donnigala d’Arborea. The word Fenughedu, refers to a village which was abandoned in 1652 after an invasion of locusts that destroyed the crops and after the plague that forced the inhabitants to move to the nearby Donigala. The word Fenughedu was applied to the name of the town by the Royal Decree of 14 September 1862.
The name derives from the Sardinian medieval donnicàlia, possession with the residence of the lord and servants that was granted by the judges to the lords.
The root of the word Fenughedu refers to the wild fennel which is very abundant in the countryside.

Typical monuments of the territory are the Portals. The most important is the Portale Vito Sotu: built in the XVIII century by the Piedmontese architect Giuseppe Viana, it is 8 meters high and the most impressive of the Sardinian Portals. 5 other portals still resist as signs of the wealth and prestige of the owners of that period.

In the territory you can also find the Santa Maria Bambina Rehabilitation Clinic, the only one in Sardinia for intensive and extensive rehabilitation, the Cantina Sociale della Vernaccia where you can buy the typical white wine vernaccia”, the mother house of the Evaristian Society of the Sacred Heart and the Spirituality center Our Lady of the Remedy of the Giuseppine Sisters; the Church of the Remedy – quoted in the novel “Canne al Vento” written by f the Noble Laureate Grazia Deledda – is very popular during the Settembre Oristanese, a religious holiday that lasts the whole month and attracts devotees from all over the region.
The Cantina is renowned not only for the Vernaccia, but it has also received numerous prestigious awards for its wines in the various editions of Vinitaly in Verona and in Brussels at various World Cup competitions.

Leave a Reply